Al-Anon's 12 Steps
Study of these Steps is essential to progress in the Al-Anon program.
- "Keep it simple."
- "Easy does it."
- "First things first."
- "Just for today."
- "Let it begin with me."
- "How important is it?"
- "One day at a time."
- "Keep an open mind."
- "Live and let live."
- "Let go and let God."
- "Keep coming back."
- "It works if you work it, so work it 'cause your worth it!"
- "Take what you like and leave the ;rest."
- "Principles above personalities."
- "Progress not Perfection."
- "Love, learn and grow."
The 12 Steps are the foundation for personal recovery in Al-Anon. Under the Recovery heading you'll find information for your personal recovery interests. Check the Meetings page for general information on our meetings, on the monthly Speaker Meeting, and also for special notices. Day-in-Al-anon is a yearly event -- usually close to Valentine's Day -- full of special workshops, food, donation drawing prizes, special speakers, and lots of fellowship. Highly recommended! Also of general interest is the Literature and Newsletter pages.
The 12 Traditions help Al-Anon groups sustain their unity and fellowship. You will information on this site to support meeting groups. If you are wondering how the groups provide members' pamphlets and books, the Literature page has instructions for groups in the District 14 area. If you are interested in helping members of your group contribute to our newsletter, you'll find information on this Newsletter page.
The 12 Concepts of Service provide guidance for service in the Al-Anon fellowship. Here you will find information supporting the activities of the District as it act in service toward our primary goal to carry the message to others who still suffer. From time to time we will post important information from district officials, such as the District Representative, for support of all the groups and service positions within the District. The Day-in-Al-anon page has special information for organizing and providing service to our yearly event. The Newsletter page has details and suggestions for contributing to our newsletter.
New meeting in Rossmoor! Tuesday Night Book Study, 7:00 - 8:00pm, 1015 Stanley Dollar Drive, Walnut Creek. Garden Room in the Stanley Dollar Clubhouse.
District 14 Open Speaker Meeting 6:30 – 9:00pm Kaiser Walnut Creek, 1515 Newell, 3rd Floor, Oak Room 1.
Information Meeting about Institutions Service, 6:30 - 7:30pm. Learn how to carry the message to residents/outpatients of hospitals, treatment centers,
correctional facilities. Kaiser Walnut Creek. See the flyer.
For a calendar of Al-Anon and Alateen events in Northern California, click here.
Sunday Night Danville meeting at St. Isidore's
New meeting started in Rossmoor! Tuesday Night Book Study, 7:00pm, 1015 Stanley Dollar Drive, Walnut Creek
Group representatives: Please contact us with any meeting changes to announce.
The Twelve Steps
Study of these Steps is essential to progress in the Al-Anon program. The principles they embody are universal, applicable to everyone, whatever his personal creed. In Al-Anon, we strive for an ever-deeper understanding of these steps, and pray for the wisdom to apply them to our lives.
- We admitted we were powerless over alcohol—that our lives had become unmanageable.
- Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
- Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.
- Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
- Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
- Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
- Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.
- Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.
- Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
- Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.
- Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.
- Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to others, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.